Why Am I Fat? – Part 1
A quick look on google will show that people are searching for that answer over 250 thousand timers per month. Thats 3 million inquiries per year. The American Obesity Epidemic has been blamed on many things over the last 50 years. Everything from saturated fat, all fat, sugar, sloth, gluttony, fast food and the easter bunny has been indicted. The truth is there are three main reasons for fat gain, and none of them have to do with calories consumed.
The answers to Why am I Fat start with toxicity, stress, and mal-nutrition. Despite being 3 different labels, they are all intricately tied together. Each one is a cause and a result of the other two. Toxins increase stress and deplete nutrition, but poor nutrition can cause build up of toxins and co-factors from stress. Stress is basically a internal toxin to the body that depletes nutrients and makes the body more vulnerable to other toxins. It’s a viscous triangle that ultimately to leads to a lower metabolism, lower energy levels, lower performance, muscle loss and fat gain.
The nice thing about the Fat Triangle is that if you improve one thing, you often have a positive effect on all points. The best way to take advantage of this is to assess the original question and relate them to these points. Then you take the approach of making changes where they are the easiest to control.
- Do I eat protein with each meal?
- Do I get a variety of vegetables and fruits throughout the day?
- Do I use the core supplements for nutrition maintenance (digestive support, multi-vitamin, fish oil, magnesium, vitamin D3, and Zinc)
- Do I eat at least 3-4 full meals per day?
- Do I eat healthy fats from nuts, healthy oils and grass fed meats?
- Do I get antioxidants from supplements or dark colored fruits like blueberries?
- Do I get at least 30g of fiber in my diet each day from fruits, veggies, or supplements.
- Do I avoid anti-nutrient foods like soy, wheat, and other grains?
- Do I take any medications that deplete vital vitamins from my system?
- Do I avoid high sugar meals?
- Do I avoid foods that give me digestive issues?
- Do I eat regularly throughout the day?
- Do I eat a lot of acidifying foods like sugars and dairy?
- Do I get 8-10 hours of sleep each night
- Do I sleep through the night without waking up?
- Do I do lots of aerobic/cardio training that wears on my adrenals?
- Do I have a healthy post workout shake with quality protein and antioxidants?
- Do I manage inflammation with omega-3s from fish oil?
- Do protect myself from EMFs (electromagnetic fields)?
- Do I takes steps to manage and reduce stress like yoga, meditation, stretching or tai chi?
- Do I exercise at least 3 times per week?
- Do I eat a lot of non organic produce?
- Do I eat canned foods that have BPA?
- Do I use cosmetics, soaps, or moisturizers that contain pthalates, parabens, or petrochemicals?
- Am I exposed to fumes from paints, finishes, construction adhesives, fragrances, or exhaust?
- Do I drink tap water or water from plastic bottles?
- Do I eat or drink foods or supplements with dyes or preservatives in them?
- Do I clean my house, clothes, and body with natural non-chemical based products?
- Do I have mercury amalgam fillings in my teeth?
- Do I cook on non-stick surfaces?
- Do I wear lipstick, perfumes, or scented deodorants/ body sprays?
- Do I heat plastic food containers in the microwave or dishwasher?
- Do I take low quality commercial supplements that can have solvents and heavy metals in them?
Once you figure out what steps you need to take based on some of above questions, begin by picking a few manageable ones to work on each week, starting with the easiest options for you to implement. If you are unsure about any of these points I recommend finding a BioSignature Practitioner near you or doing an Online Consultation. The best diets and the most rigorous exercise programs will only be up hill battles unless you address these elemental causes. Starting by improving the points on the triangle will help improve your health, increase your metabolism, improve energy, all of which will make losing fat much faster and easier.